SCIBCA is the Southern California Interscholastic Basketball Coaches Association, a professional organization founded for all basketball coaches in the CIF Southern Section. The organization began in 1961, with Chuck Kane as its initial president, and has been serving coaches for the past 50 years. SCIBCA continues to work with the CIF office to promote & improve basketball in Southern California.
- Mission StatementThe Purpose of SCIBCA is to promote and uphold the integrity of high school basketball; to inform, educate, and serve our members; and to function as liaison between local, state, and national governing bodies and member coaches.
- How does it operate?SCIBCA functions by way of an Executive Board, which meets once every six weeks to handle business and to carry out the annual goals of the organization. The board is comprised of 18-25 members and represents both boys and girls coaches. In 1990, the board named former CIF-SS Commissioner Ray Plutko as its Executive Director to assist with the overall direction and growth of SCIBCA and the organization has tripled its membership and services since. Greg Coombs assumed the position as Executive Director in 2010.
- Who may join?Membership is open to all boys and girls coaches, which includes every level of competition – varsity, JV, frosh, etc. The membership year runs from August through the month of July of the following school year. Each August, the head varsity coach of respective boys and girls teams receive a membership application, which is good for the entire staff. This application must be renewed annually in order for coaches and the school to receive the benefits of the organization.
- What does SCIBCA do?The organization now receives an automatic seat(s) on the CIF Basketball Advisory Committee and is very active in the formulation of new rules and regulations to promote the growth of high school basketball. Over the past five years, seven proposals from SCIBCA have resulted in acceptance by the CIF and new areas are reviewed each year. Additionally, SCIBCA conducts a Fall and a Spring Clinic; hosts a girls and boys summer basketball tournament; offers two-for-one tickets to the CIF Basketball Championships; provides a hospitality room at the CIF Basketball Championships; selects members into its Hall of Fame each year at the CIF Basketball Finals; offers a coaches recognition awards program; and publishes a newsletter for all members.
- What is the Recognition Program?The program is designed to honor coaches for their years of service to the game of basketball. Exclusive recognition awards for members who have contributed 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years of service to the game of basketball will be presented. The awards are for head coaches as well as all assistants who are SCIBCA members and apply to combined service at any level of high school coaching. Additionally, appropriate awards are presented for varsity wins of 200, 300, 400, and 500.